Health officials are warning consumers against drinking unpasteurized, raw milk and eating certain cheese products sold under the BeiHollow brand because tests have found contamination by Listeria monocytogenes.
The warning out of Dauphin County, PA, says the producer of the unpasteurized products would not release a list of where the products were sold. It is believed that some of the dairy products were sold by retailers in south-central Pennsylvania retail stores.
Implicated products include raw, whole milk and chocolate milk, cheese melt, and cup cheeses. The products were sold from Oct. 12 to 21.
About Listeria infections
Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still cause serious and sometimes life-threatening infections. Anyone who has eaten any implicated products and developed symptoms of Listeria infection should seek medical treatment and tell their doctors about possible Listeria exposure.
Also, anyone who has eaten any of the recalled products should monitor themselves for symptoms during the coming weeks because it can take up to 70 days after exposure to Listeria for symptoms of listeriosis to develop.
Symptoms of Listeria infection can include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache, and neck stiffness. Specific laboratory tests are required to diagnose Listeria infections, which can mimic other illnesses.
Pregnant women, the elderly, young children, and people such as cancer patients who have weakened immune systems are particularly at risk of serious illnesses, life-threatening infections, and other complications. Although infected pregnant women may experience only mild, flu-like symptoms, their infections can lead to premature delivery, infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)
Source : Food Safety News